2016 marks the 100th anniversary of our Algona building.
Our funeral home has been located at 218 S. Moore Street since 1968, but there is a rich history that precedes us. Here are some fun facts about the history, architecture and story of this beautiful home.
Originally another house stood on the Moore Street block, the home of William and Caroline Ingham. It was built in 1865 on land that encompassed the entire block. When William died, the house was split into two parts and moved. The larger and more ornate portion can now be seen on S. Harlan Street. The other half was moved to North Jones Street, but it later burned and was torn down.
In 1915-1916 a new house (our current Algona location) was built. The owner Frank Dingley gave his wife, Emma carte blanche when the house was planned. It cost somewhere between $40,000- $60,000 and was considered the grandest house in Algona.
The walls are one foot thick and are back plastered, so no insulation was used.
This was the first house in Algona to have an underground and fireproof garage.
A brick sun porch is the south room on the ground floor. This was a new architectural feature of the time period and continues to be a beautiful and inviting room.
The parking lot now behind the house was once full of trees. Plans were made for tennis courts there but they were never carried out.
There are many details from the original house that still remain today:
- The front door, which leads to a small foyer, is surrounded by glass panels decorated with an abstract design in metal. The same design is repeated in the doorway to the entrance hall.
- The living room contains a tile fireplace with a wooden mantel featuring medallions and dentils.
- A large crystal and bronze chandelier hangs in the living room and the style is repeated in smaller fixtures flanking the fireplace and the large windows at each end of the room. Emma took Dingley took the train to Chicago and selected all the ornate light fixtures for her house at Marshall Fields.
- The doors throughout the house have glass knobs and many include a mirrored panel.
Below are some images to show the architectural details that still remain today:
[rev_slider alias=”fun-facts” align=”center”]